Floccinaucinihilipilification

Ironically

Devised by Etonians

Such worthy people

.

n.b. A word comprising various bits and pieces from Latin and Classical Greek that was made up by a wit of Eton College, (located just off the M4 near Slough, beneath the westerly Heathrow airport).

Fees at this bucolic location are currently £13,556 per term, (known as a half – there are 3 halfs each academic year, (I offer no comment on the mathematics behind this)). Extra curricular activities can cost between £500 and £1000 per term. Music lessons are between £310 and £620 per term, but there is a 10% discount on fees for boys on musical scholarships.

In 2012 “floccinaucinihilipilification” was used by the Conservative MP, Rupert Rees-Mogg* in the House of Commons – what irony that name carries when 32% of UK Members of Parliament are private school educated.

Floccaucinihilipilification means the act, or habit of describing, or acting as if something is worthless. Roughly 48% of the UK population feel that is how they are acted towards by the current government as it pursues Brexit and the other 52% feel the same because the of the way the current government is pursuing Brexit.

The UK is far from being a united kingdom at the moment, but it is providing the rest of the world some welcome light relief. Former colonial dominions are seeing this as a form of karma, after previously being on the wrong end of the British Empire.

*British citizen Rees-Mogg leads a collection of Conservative MPs called the European Research Group (ERG). They collect around the notion that the European Union can be best researched by taking the United Kingdom out of the EU organisation of nations, who work as a group to reform Europe so that the continent finds peaceful solutions to its differences. The ERG approach is akin to saying to your beloved “I want to research how we can improve the quality of our relationship together, so I am going back to my mother’s.”, (which for some couples, might indeed improve the relationship).

I sense our European cousins may feel this may be the only way forward having had to deal with private school boys like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and the political & global strategy genius who is David Cameron, (see EU Referendum, June 2016 and the invasion of Libya, 2011.

CLP 23/02/2019

Published by

Christopher Perry

Liberté, Equalité, Humanité